The Daughter by Lucy Dawson - Review

The Daughter by Lucy Dawson
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Source: NetGalley
Rating: 3'5/5
Amazon


"Ben would think I'd gone mad if I did that, and probably he would be right. No, he was definitely right! She couldn't miss a whole day of school just because of something I'd imagined happening. Plus, it'd look really weird to Mattie's mum if we did an about-turn now, and then I'd have to phone in sick to work to look after her. I took a deep breath. It was all going to be fine."

Lucy Dawson is one of my favourite authors, her characters are well described and you could feel their emotions on your skin. This book is touchy and emotional, but it didn't have the suspense of her other books, that's why my rating is low compared to the others. Don't get me wrong, the book is great, a nail bitting story, suspenseful and unsettling, but I discovered all the plot since the beginning, so I missed the surprise to discover the truth.
First of all, Jess, our main character, has lost her daughter and tries to live with the grief, but everything continues to remind of her precious Beth. She has a new husband and a little son, but after a few surprising events in her life, it seems that her deepest secret could go out hurting all her loved ones... Has she learned from the past that secrets inside a family are no good? And what really makes me question is how much does she loves her family and is she ready to protect them?
I will make a few spoilers, so if you don't want to know more about the plot, stop reading!
I've always been against cheating on a marriage, but if your husband/wife cheats you, I don't think it is normal to hate the other person whom your partner has cheated, and you? It's not the first time I've read something similar and it always surprises me, who really has broken your trust and relation is your partner, not the other person! And let me say that I love my partner very much, but I am not sure how much I would risk my son's life to simply forget his "slipping moment"... 
What would you do to protect your family?

Labels: , , , ,